Justice For Women

In the Church. In the World.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

DaVinci Code . . . you know you want to

Okay, so I have to admit it, I did see The DaVinci Code opening week. And yes, I've read the book too. And, I admit, I think Audrey Tatou is the most gorgeous human being on planet Earth. I will even admit that I cried at the end watching Langdon (Tom Hanks) kneel before the Magdalene's tomb.

Even after all this, surprisingly, I still don't believe that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were necessarily married. Why? Because it's fiction, not a documentary. However, that being said, I am happy with the excessive press the film is getting. It has created a ripe opportunity to discuss the position of women in the Christian Church, historically and today. It has sparked interest in the non-canonical gospels, which provide a rich, complex portrait of Jesus, the disciples, and the early Church.

For more info:
Women's Ordination Conference: DaVinci Code Raises Questions About Women's Role in the Catholic Church
The Truth at the Heart of The DaVinci Code, by Elaine Pagels

2 Comments:

  • At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home